Friday, September 26, 2008

Enjoying your tomatoes?

I love fresh tomatoes from the garden, so when my dad gave us two extra plants we (mostly I) were so excited! We planted and watered and watched and watched and watched and counted almost 75 tomatoes! Wonderful right? Not quite, it is almost October and while most people can't figure out what to do with all of their extra tomatoes we are still waiting!!! Almost all of our tomatoes are still green! Every time it starts to get a little cold I panic. It can't get cold because we still have tomatoes trying to turn red.

We finally got one tomato the other day and we were so excited to eat it for dinner, it was a small one so I was very protective of it. Matthew would not stop touching and pretending to throw it at me. It was intense! He is a nut.

8 comments:

atkinson family said...

I love it, Matthew is a nut, apparently he didn't fall far from the tree. I love that you took a picture of the tomato- only in the blogging world! :) Good Luck with your salsa!

dollycoug said...

Rhineers,

Bulldog tomatoes taste way better than Ute tomatoes.

em kawasaki said...

That happened to us last year. We only got a few tomatoes out of the garden before they all went mushy. Luckily our farmer neighbor behind us knows what she is doing and gave us bags and bags of tomatoes all summer long. This summer our garden was overflowing with heirloom tomatoes and I can't stand the sight or smell of them anymore. Would you want some?

Rhino said...

I'm so glad you updated your blog. I have been checking at least once a week. The balloon fiesta is starting this weekend and goes until the 12th. You are desperate for a road trip aren't you?

atkinson family said...

Uh HUM! Are there any new post in our future?

Dan and Al Gardner said...

Hey Rhineers! That is so funny, did you guys each get one bite for dinner? I hope you have some tomatoes commin your way!

Jen said...

I had the same problem! I was so mad. All my friends were making salsa and pasta sauce and I was shooing my kids away from but my few precious greenies. But I heard that you take them off and put them in a paper bag and put them in your windowsill, it seems to be working. Good luck

Unknown said...

Stop watering them. If you let the soil dry out, for some reason it makes the tomatoes turn red. We grew 3 plants this year and had the same problem but when we quit watering they turned red! yahoo!